So you want to make a new extension or app API? That's great!
You should expect three distinct phases for your API's development: Proposal, Development, and Going Live. Expect to go through the API review meeting twice: once before implementation (proposal), and once after implementation (final review before Chrome stable).
- Fill out an API Proposal.
- Write documentation for your API, upload it to codereview, then share a link to http://developer.chrome.com/_patch/<your CL number>/<your api>, for example http://developer.chrome.com/_patch/14990011/extensions/storage.html.
Add your API to the list at the bottom of this page with Status "1: proposing." Make sure to link to your proposal doc in the "Proposal" column.Sign up for your first (proposal stage) API Review Meeting to present your proposal and get some feedback before coding. (If you are external to Google, email firstname.lastname@example.org to find sponsors for your API proposal. You'll need to work with a Google engineer and PM to go through the review and launch process.)
- Writing documentation early is a good exercise, and it's easier for reviewers to get an overview.
- Change the Status of your item in the list below to "2: under development."
- Code your extension/app API according to the implementation guidelines. Your implementation must be kept behind its own feature flag until it works and is secure. See chrome/common/extensions/feature_switch.h.
- Write up your documentation and make sure it appears in the dev channel's API page.
- After your implementation both works and is secure, you should enable your API on the dev channel as described in the implementation guidelines.
- Encourage usage of the API in the dev channel; the more adoption during dev, the easier your final approval will be.
- Remain restricted to the dev channel for a full release cycle (in most cases).
- After receiving feedback from a few major extensions or apps, proceed to the going live phase.
Going Live Phase
- Sign up for your second/final (going live phase) API Review Meeting to petition enabling your stable, well-tested API on all channels.
- Have your PM file a Type-Launch bug. Your PM should usher the API through all of the launch reviews, including privacy and security.
- Update all sample extensions/apps for your API.
- Land a CL to enable the API for all channels, and change the Status of your item in the list below to "3: complete."
- Publicize the new API. Write a post for the Chromium blog about the API. Send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Talk to Joe Marini (joemarini@) or Mike West (mkwst@) for advice.
|Location ||vadimt ||February 14, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Activity Log API ||felt ||April 24, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Eject Device ||gbillock || ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Redirect URLs to apps ||sergeygs@ || ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Input Injection ||wez@, dcaiafa@ ||April 22, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Input Injection - New Chrome API Proposal ||Chrome Input Injection API |
|Identity ||courage ||February 4, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Thumbnails for topSites ||oleg ||March 19, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Bluetooth ||keybuk || ||1: proposing ||update to existing dev-channel API ||API Changes Doc |
|Managed Storage Schema ||joaodasilva || ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|TLS Channel ID ||juanlang@, mschilder@ (eng) samsrinivas@ (pm) ||March 27, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Synced Device Info ||pavely ||March 25, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Tab History ||mpcomplete@, email@example.com ||April 8, 2013 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|System Indicator ||dewittj@ ||November 8, 2012 ||1: proposing ||Proposal || |
|Desktop Notification ||miket@ ||January 24, 2013 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|SystemInfo ||firstname.lastname@example.org ||July 16, 2012 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|Spellcheck ||rlp@ ||January 2, 2013 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|WebRTC Tab Content Capture ||mfoltz@ ||October 29, 2012 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|Profiles ||rlp@ ||January 2, 2013 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|Enterprise Key ||dkrahn@ ||March 22, 2013 ||2: under development ||Proposal || |
|Power Management ||derat ||April 30, 2013 ||3: complete ||Proposal ||http://developer.chrome.com/dev/extensions/power.html |
|Process Model ||nasko@ ||February 24, 2012 ||x: inactive ||Proposal || |
|Record ||mpcomplete@ ||July 27, 2012 ||x: inactive ||Proposal || |
|Power Interface (old) ||rkc@ ||March 21, 2013 ||x: inactive ||Proposal ||Docs |
|Auto-install of android companion extensions ||mwd743@ ||January 9, 2013 ||x: inactive ||Proposal || |
Showing 24 items