- The printing is initiated by the yellow boxes; either by user intents or by script.
- The actual printer spooling is done in the print worker thread.
- The renderer thread is blocking the whole time, which could lead to deadlock where:
- The renderer sends a sync message to the browser UI thread (which implicitly requires a round trip to the I/O thread)
- The browser thread displays a PrintDlgEx() dialog box for instance
- The tab client area (e.g. the HTML display area) receives a invalidation; requiring it to regenerate the display.
- (or) A windowed plugin receives a WM_PAINT window message.
- This calls synchronously the renderer.
- But the renderer is not processing messages anymore -> Deadlock.
Because of this, there is work going on to not block the Renderer Thread by duplicating the WebViewImpl/WebFrameImpl and use the "inert" duplicate frame for the printing. This removes all the sync messages requirements.