Skia pictures or ".skp's" are a binary format for the draw commands Chromium sends to Skia for rasterization. You can view these in the Skia debugger. To get the SkPicture you have two options:
Option 1: save the whole page
- Grab Chrome Canary or a tip-of-tree Chromium Release build and launch it with the following flags (for help, see ):
- Load your favorite page
- In the DevTools console, type chrome.gpuBenchmarking.printToSkPicture('/path/to/skp_dir/')
- In the Skia checkout , run ./out/Debug/debugger /path/to/skp_dir/layer_0.skp
Option 2: save an individual picture
You can view and export these files from Chrome's about:tracing
- Grab Chrome Canary or a tip-of-tree Chromium Release build and launch it with the following flag (for help, see ):
- Navigate to "about:tracing".
- Open a new tab and navigate to your favorite knitting website.
- Go back to the about:tracing tab and press record. Choose the "Frame viewer", or check “cc” and “cc.debug.picture”. Uncheck everything else for this demo, then press record.
- Go back to your knitting webpage and refresh the page. You can scroll around, select text, etc (each generated skpicture will be saveable).
- Go back to “about:tracing” and press “stop tracing”.
- Now for some fun! Use the W, A, S, and D keys like you’re playing a video game. Your goal in this game is to find the “cc::Picture” dot that you’d like to save. When you’ve found the one, click “Save SkPicture”. Note: you can use the left and right arrow keys to cycle through cc::Pictures. You may notice there are two copies of most pictures--this is for low resolution (first) and high resolution (second).
- You can now open this picture in the Skia debugger.
 How to launch Chrome with flags on OSX
Chrome Canary can be launched with:
./Applications/Google\ Chrome\ Canary.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome\ Canary --enable-threaded-compositing --force-compositing-mode --enable-impl-side-painting --enable-skia-benchmarking --allow-webui-compositing
If you build yourself, make sure to use a Release build and launch with:
./out/Release/Chromium.app/Contents/MacOS/Chromium --enable-threaded-compositing --force-compositing-mode --enable-impl-side-painting --enable-skia-benchmarking --allow-webui-compositing